Home is where the hearth is!
My name is Sujit and this space is an attempt to express rather than impress and a place to play and hopefully learn more about something that’s I’m completely cuckoo about. In addition to playing in the kitchen, I run a company called The Yellow Submarine. My kitchen role models are my wife and best friend Sudha and my mom Niroja, who have effortlessly internalized the value of ‘better than good’ food.
My cooking itch began in 1985. I’d just got married and I think I wanted to impress Sudha. What started off as weekend experiments very quickly became weekend obsessions. It’s been 31 years and changes in my lifestyle now allow me the pleasure of indulging myself beyond just weekends. More importantly, cooking helps me in ‘climate control’ – in creating ‘sunshine on demand’, irrespective of the weather outside.
My fix these days come from baking bread – not just cooking and follows a pretty simple process:
- Check what ingredient’s are available in the fridge or larder.
- Go online to get some ideas on what those ingredients could magically be transformed into.
- Add. Delete. Modify. Substitute and most importantly play – slowly. After all, whats the point in rushing it, when I’m having lots of fun!
- Take a snap or two quickly with the camera phone.
- Eat and if possible make mental notes!
So, this blog thingy is a wee bit horrifying. Am I biting off more than I can chew? Will I be focusing more on the paper-work than on playing? A zillion questions flood me. I guess the proof of the pudding is in the eating. So, I’m going to use this space as an extended kitchen counter. Let’s see what gets tabled.
I hope you’ll enjoy your time spent here. Thanks for stopping by.
Ta – Sujit